September 7-8, 2017
SEPTEMBER 7-8, 2017
Over 40 Pennsylvania Breweries Confirmed!
- WELCOME RECEPTION 9/7/17 @ Letterman’s Sports Grill & Gastro Pub, State College PA. 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Brewer Prize Drawing: 3 Liquid Integrity InstaRinse Portable Glass Rinser (value $125 per), Amazon Gift Cards & more
- SYMPOSIUM 9/8/17 @ Penn Stater Hotel & Conference Center, State College, PA 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- FREE BOP SWAG & SIGNAGE Brewer Work Shirts and BOP Membership Tin Tackers will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis at no cost to current members.
- FREE MALLET Each Registered Brewery Attendee Will Receive One (1) Mallet Courtesy of Mid-Atlantic Craft Beverage Insurance (limit 100)
friday, september 8, 2017
The Business of Brewing.
The Science of Brewing.
The Network of Brewers.
The Brewers of Pennsylvania 3rd Annual Mid Atlantic Brewers’ Symposium will be held at The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center, State College, PA. Sponsored by American Keg, Bad Rhino and Wells Fargo, this awesome event is a one-day symposium featuring eight, 45 minute seminars and three, 15 minute info sessions from the leaders of the craft brewing industry.
With the science of brewing and business of brewing as the focus, attendees will be exposed to valuable resources and insight plus be given a unique perspective on Pennsylvania’s ever-changing craft beer landscape.
(includes breakfast and lunch)
FREE – No cost for current BOP (Brewery or Associate) Members. Two person / representative max. Additional tickets are available at $50 per person.
$299 – Non Member Licensed Breweries (Limited space)
$99 – Homebrewers
- 8:00 AM – 8:30 Breakfast & Registration
- 8:30 AM – 8:40 AM: Welcome & State of the Union
- Chris Lampe of Weyerbacher Brewing Co, BOP President
- 8:40 AM – 9:00 AM The Anatomy of a Keg: What to Look for When Purchasing, Manufacturing Process, Simple Maintenance, etc.
- 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM: Legal Updates, Producing Hard Cider and Federal/PA Labeling Requirements This presentation will discuss legal updates relevant to breweries in 2017. Additionally, we will discuss some requirements for breweries to produce hard cider, the corresponding TTB and PA licensing, label and registration requirements to do so, and a new PA change for brand registration of beer.
- 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM: Think Like a CFO
Thinking like a CFO goes beyond debits and credits, and into understanding how to get the numbers to tell you the story of what’s happening in your brewery so you can operationally adjust. The presentation touches everything from understanding your hiring practices and labor costs, to healthcare, to the strategic plans for expansion.
- CFO vs Controller: The difference & how to determine YOUR brewery needs?
- 3 profit-killing trends and how to spot and change them
- 5 key things to look for in your financial statements
- Financing & Banking: how to access capital and the right questions to ask.
- Cash Management and Taxes
- Forecasting & Growth Planning: How to control it so it doesn’t control you.
- Thinking of selling or expanding to another state? What to do BEFORE the move
- 10:45 AM – 11:00 AM: Break
- 11:00 AM – 11:30 AM: Current and Future Plans for Hops Trials and Research
Professors from Penn State University will provide an overview of the hops variety trial at Rock Springs, present initial findings, and discuss how the project fits into long-term strategic goals with respect to hops research at Penn State. The panel will also seek Brewer input relating to how future hops research could directly benefit the Commonwealth’s brewing industry
- 11:30 AM – 12:15 PM: Malting Barley Variety Trials
Professors from Penn State University will discuss progress being made in identifying and growing high yielding and high quality winter and spring barley, the collaborations undertaken to continue to improve malting barley and some of the management recommendations developed for barley production in Pennsylvania. The presentation will include also report results from most recent field trials.
- 12:15 PM – 1:15 PM: Lunch
- 1:15 PM – 1:30 PM Keynote Speaker: Pennsylvania House of Representatives Hon. Paul Costa, Liquor Control, Democratic Chair
- 1:30 PM – 1:45 PM: Brewing Up Capital, Funding Brewery Expansion
As your brewery grows, funds will be needed for expansion, acquisition, refinancing, equipment purchases, working capital, construction and more. Long time BOP Associate Member Ray Babik of Wells Fargo will discuss options for your brewery.
- 1:45 PM – 2:30 PM Pulling Back the Curtain on the Music Licensing Process
When Does a Brewpub or Tasting Room Need a Public Performance License for Music and Where Does the Money Go?
- 2:30 PM – 2:45 PM Break
- 2:45 PM – 3:00 PM Poured in Pennsylvania Update Sponsored by the Brewers of Pennsylvania, this statewide craft beer documentary is currently in production by GK Visual. Attendees will be treated to a sneak peak video and update on the production.
- 3:00 PM – 3:45 PM Great Beer is Not Enough: How Social Media can Create Raving Fans and Increase Consumer Demand Intro to Social Media, What works what doesn’t in 2017, What should a Brewery do to ensure ROI From Social Media and How to avoid the common mistakes.
3:45 PM – 4:30 PM Sourcing, Evaluating and Maintaining Wooden Vessels
There’s lots of discussion about wood-aging techniques and processes, but how do you start or add to your cellar program? Join Pennsylvania’s own Keystone Fermentation Supply as we discuss the wood procurement process – wood selection; vessel sizes and formats; supply chain idiosyncrasies; the “new vs. used” conundrum; and basic maintenance techniques and tools.
4:30 PM – 5:15 PM Protect Yourself and Your Brewery
Regulatory Compliance relating to Environmental, Health and safety with in the brewery market and how it relates to your business. Review cost-effective solutions and best practices in building and maintaining a safe and compliant work space for your employees, while protecting your business from regulatory agencies and how it effects your insurance costs.
- 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM BOP Member Happy Hour @ Liberty Craft House
For those attendees looking to decompress after a day of professional development, Liberty Craft House will have a few BOP Member Beers on tap and welcomes brewers to stop by. Casual meet-up place for Symposium attendees.
$1,350 Symposium Sponsor – SOLD OUT
Speaking: Time will be allocated to give a short presentation (15 mins), or a demonstration if appropriate.
Signage: As a sponsor of the symposium, you are entitled to provide appropriate signage in the meeting room on the day of the Symposium.
Company Literature and Giveaway: During symposium, you will have the opportunity to distribute items of your company’s literature and gifts/giveaways at a display table.
Promotion: As a symposium sponsor, your company’s name and logo appear alongside other individual symposium option sponsors during proceedings, on the materials, on the BOP website and included with promotion to members and non-members.
Follow-up: Attendee email list will be provided for sponsor to further connect with attendees.
Exhibit: Sponsorship will include exhibitor table directly inside of reception area.
EXHIBITOR ($750 NEW ASSOCIATE MEMBER):
- 2017 Annual Associate BOP Membership
- Exhibitor Table at two hour (2) Social Event 9/7/17.
- Attendance at BOP Symposium 9/8/17.
If Associate Membership is already current at time of event:
- $250 Exhibitor Table at two hour (2) Social Event 9/7/17.
Attendee Passport w/ prize drawing will be played so all attendees are encouraged to visit each exhibitor.
- Rehrig Pacific Company
- AJS Tap Handles
- Keystone Fermentation Supply
- Kevin’s Worldwide
- LD Carlson Company
- NEPA Carton & Carrier
- Pro Chiller Systems
- AUI Energy Consultants
- Double Eagle Malt
- Craft Brewing Insurance
- American Keg
- Iron Heart Canning Co.
- Wells Fargo
- Bad Rhino
- MI Local Hops
- Poured in Pennsylvania
BOP reserves the right to accept or reject registrations and to cancel any previously accepted reservations, at any time, at its sole discretion, without liability to the registrant or any other party. This policy was instituted to maintain the professional environment of the symposium, while protecting the interests of our attendees and exhibitors.
Loud, abusive, or defamatory language, harassment or other unprofessional or inappropriate behavior is not permitted at any time at the show. If such conduct is engaged in by a registrant, please be advised that BOP may cancel any previously accepted reservations, at any time, at its sole discretion, without liability to the registrant or any other party, and the registrant agrees to exit the premises immediately.
BOP has sole discretion over admission at all times and shall strictly enforce all show rules. Attendees agree to abide by these attendance rules, which may be updated at any time. Violators risk immediate confiscation of their show badge without refund and removal from the premises. Violators will not be allowed re-entry.
BOP, its sole discretion, reserves the right to decline the registration of any applicant that may violate national security or export compliance laws, including U.S. economic sanctions. Applicants must provide full, truthful information when registering, in accordance with registration terms and conditions.
The Brewers Symposium is business casual or brewer attire.